Saturday, October 21, 2006

White & Nerdy

Listen to a podcast of this post, thanks to Talkr

I just watched the video for Weird Al's new song, "White & Nerdy" (a parody of the hip-hop song "Ridin' Dirty"), and I knew it had to be shared on my blog. It's just too ENG506! There are lyrics like "When my friends need code, who do they call?/I do HTML for 'em all." But this is the clincher for me:

"I edit Wikipedia!"

Watch the video. I have a feeling many of us will relate on some level. Now, for your enjoyment, see just how "white & nerdy" I am.

And, talk about white and nerdy, I actually found this on the Wikipedia entry for the song:

The Wikipedia article Yankovic vandalizes (by typing "YOU SUCK!" in big letters) is the article about Atlantic Records, referring to Yankovic's not receiving permission from the company to include "You're Pitiful", a parody of James Blunt's song "You're Beautiful", on Straight Outta Lynwood. Yankovic uses huge letters to make it clear to viewers what he is doing, although this is not actually possible in the current version of MediaWiki.

Leave it to Wikipedia users to spoil the fun. And I love 'em to death for it.

4 comments:

Jennifer Taft said...

that was pretty much the funniest thing ive seen in a long time... Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

The bubble wrap is especially hysterical. Thanks for sharing. I turn to your blog to read about what you thought of the conference (Mr. Sci Fi fits right into the white and nerdy appelation) and what do I find--Al Yankovic.

Your wiki link is impressive man. K

Sarah said...

Thanks for the fun video, Dave.

I browsed through your Wikipedia stuff and saw that you listed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I've been thinking about this book a lot recently for a few reasons: (1) I've been working with some students who are on the autism spectrum (2) I loaned this book to a student of mine recently (3) I have a cousin who has we suspect has Asperger's, but his parents won't admit it and (4) Dan Pink's book. The stars seem to have aligned in order to convince me that I should give this book a re-read.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I want to read Haddon's new book, "A Spot of Bother," which is getting good reviews.