Thursday, October 12, 2006

iMovie Project

Listen to a podcast of this post, thanks to Talkr

Well, it's official. After a brief talk with Dr. Stearns this afternoon, I will be doing my iMovie project on geocaching. I have secured a video camera already (thanks, library staff!) and will be taking it with me to a geocaching event this weekend ("Letchworth Fall Gathering V" at Letchworth State Park, southwest of Rochester).

This will be the sixth geocaching event I've attended in the past eight months, so I hope to see a lot of people there whom I have already met and who will be willing to discuss geocaching on tape for me. I'm kind of worried about getting enough tape at the event, since I know from experience that the batteries on these school-issued cameras are only good for like 45 minutes, maybe an hour tops. So I guess I need to have the questions I want to ask lined up and ready to go, so I can get maximum usable footage in minimum time. Here comes the brainstorming:

1.) "How many caches have you found?"
2.) "How far have you travelled to be here?"
3.) "Can I see your GPS device?" (hmm, a nice montage showing people with different GPSrs would be pretty cool...)
4.) "How much did you pay for your device?"
5.) "What do you like most about caching?"

I'm also hoping to catch up with some people who use geocaching as a learning device, either in the classroom or in Scouts or somewhere else, and let them talk about how they do it. That might be hard to do on short notice, though.

And then, of course, after I get home and charge up the battery, I can get some footage of myself doing some cache-related activities, including finding some hides! Ooh, ooh... maybe if I find out if there are some caches hidden near our hotel in Albany, some of my classmates might venture out with me after the NYSEC conference next Thursday?

Anyway, that's it. Sound pretty interesting? Lilke something you might watch? Like something that might be a hit on current.tv and make me some bucks?

4 comments:

Alex Reid said...

I do think geocaching is the kind of cultural practice that might be attractive to Current TV

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Dave...this is hot.

What exactly do you find?? I know you've told me that before but I forgot!!

Filming this adventure sounds a bit like something auteur, Jim Jarmusch, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jarmusch) would do.

And if you get it on Current TV, and there's money crossing your palm, you're taking your professors out to dinner! Maybe the whole class.

Have a great time! But please spend some time on the website over the next few days so that next week you can show me a rudimentary "start." Ok?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, about not making that link live. Darn!

Mrs. Brenneck said...

Dave,
Sounds like a good idea. Someone that my boyfriend Tim works with does this search/find thing with his GPS. Just in the past few weeks, he came across a body by the train tracks as he was on his search. Dead body aside, I thought it was interesting that someone else we know is doing this; I admit I'm intrigued. We have a GPS of our own, but no clue how to use it, maybe you will inspire me to figure it out...