Tuesday, October 10, 2006

By Popular Request:

Listen to a podcast of this post, thanks to Talkr

Here's the quotation of the night from... umm... that other class I go to on Tuesday nights. By the way, let me clarify that this occurred while we were learning about something called "interactive lecture."

Professor (paraphrased): "A good lesson features a strong lecture: teachers talk, and kids listen. You might allow one or two questions during the lesson, but for the most part, you want the kids to sit there and be quiet while you talk."
Me: "Umm... I would think that this would make the kids... umm..."
Fellow student: "...fall asleep?!?"
Professor (and I swear this is a direct quotation): "If the kids fall asleep, that's their problem."

I know there are people who, if they aren't afraid to step up, will back me up on this. This was not taken out of context in any way. This is what was said.

In the mind of this educator, an "interactive" lesson involves blah-blah-blahing at the front of the class for twenty minutes, and allowing (maybe) one or two questions from interested students. As for the disinterested students, well, forget about them. Their inability to learn from your lecture is their problem.

I don't even know what to say about this exactly. I was speechless. Incredulous. I hope, hope, that this educator was being facetious. But there was no "no, seriously..." after the "that's their problem" comment. There was just more talk about how great lecture is.

There is a time and a place for lecture, don't get me wrong. However, I would say that, even during an important lecture, there is room to accept any and all relevant questions students may have. Answering those questions might not only help the students asking them, but could very well help all the other students in the class better understand the lecture as well.

Come to think of it, I'm sure she wasn't being facetious, as I've seen this same activity going on in our class. She'll be giving a lecture on something, someone will raise his/her hand for a question, and she'll tell him/her to not ask questions, because she's lecturing. That question might have helped me; let it be asked!

Anyway... yeah. Another post unrealted to technology in the classroom. Welcome to Dave's Land of the Off-Topic.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks, Dave. I always look forward to these posts, and I think it's clear that others do as well. I am very disheartened by this course. Everything you've said here is accurate, sadly. There is so much else to add that could further depict the horrific "education" that we are receiving, but I'm trying to figure out what to DO about this. Can anything be done?

My husband's take on this is that, "I guess it just goes to show that you can get a bad teacher anywhere you go." Again, sad but true.

Mrs. Brenneck said...

I have a hunch that I know the "educator" you are talking about. If so, nothing will be done; I've spoken to Karla about the problems with the program. Also, if this is who I think it is, I remember that we were all treated as though we were idiots when we asked a question. It was as though there was something wrong with us; it was clear that questions were unwelcome and that the teacher couldn't answer them anyway. Once again, the dichotomy between the ancient way of doing things and the new, inspiring way of doing things is enormous. How are teachers like this allowed to stay here? I think it's clear why they're no longer in high schools.

KatieL said...

As Natalie said, I think I know who this "educator" is also. And she's right nothing will be done. It is amazing the difference in the old and new ways of doing things. Don't even get me started on the YA Lit class some of us took! I have no doubt that my future students will not always benefit from a graphic organizer. Karla can be a big help for certain things but ultimately there's not a whole lot she can do. But just know we all went through that class and the hours of lesson planning. We're here for support if you need us.

Alex Reid said...

I will not comment on my colleagues. However, I do want to comment on the practice of lecturing...

If you are like me, you've been in the audience for some good lectures, usually they are at some public event rather than in the classroom. You've also been subject to a lot of bad lecturing.

We all acknowledge that the classroom requires the occassional "info-dump." In our class it is sometimes the techie demonstration. However in general a "mini-lecture" provides some important context for class discussion or other work.

So, my point is NOT to say that there should be no lecturing (although with iTunes U, why not have downloadable lectures and save us all the bother of showing up at a certain time?)

But anyway, here's my question. We can all agree that "bad" lecturing is counter-productive, but what about "good" lecturing? Do you think that's worthwhile? Do you aspire to being a good lecturer?

Or do you think the lecture, good or bad, should be as limited as possible?

Mrs. Brenneck said...

I have no doubt that lecturing is important...like it or not, we'll have to suffer through them at some point in our lives. And they can be informative as well as interesting. So, yes, they are necessary in the classroom. However, the problem is that this teacher is claiming a teacher-centered lecture to be an INTERACTIVE lecture. If this was not the case, I don't think anyone would claim that lectures are terrible. In my last field observation, the teacher considred her lectures (with two or three student questions/comments in a 40 minute period) to be discussions. This is where the problem lies.

Anonymous said...

The problem surely lies with the difficulty we all have imagining what student-centered classrooms look/sound like since so many of us have never been in one.

Talking AT adolescents is counter-productive. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If "their" work is driving the class, which it should be, then why not empower them to be the mini-lecturers when some kind of "transmission" from an expert is necessary. Talk about learning speaking skills.

Now isn't that a novel idea!

It is very difficult to leave the old paradigms behind. And yes there are times when we adults appreciate a well prepared "lecture" (even if a monologic rather than an "interactive" one) on a topic of interest to us.

I'm not sure that's what teacher talk in school is to most kids though.

True constructivist teaching requires that the teacher get off the stage or occupy it for very short periods of time.

What we want in classrooms is less "good teaching," and more "good learning."

How do we get that? How do we know it when we see it? Whew!!

Thanks to Dave for getting us all hot and bothered w/this post.

We should have a contest (except I don't like in class contests -- unless they're silly ones) to see whose blog post this semester invites the most comment.

Comments can reach 23... if everyone of us is engaged. I say it's on!