Sunday, November 12, 2006

My Stage Presence

I've just discovered that Joe called me out in a comment a couple posts down, saying (and I qoute):

Dave ... is so utterly unused to ... being ignored that he has attained a pseudo-celebrity status


He is so right. Joe, I apologize, but it's true. I work under the pretense that I am gunning for anonymity. Joe is probably not the first person to have ever seen through my guise, but he is the first one to do so with such levels of boisterousness. I can't be just one of the crowd, no matter how much I like to pretend to be. I always stick out. I always either take control in some way, or divert attention to myself with off-the-wall antics.

Why do I do so? I can't really say, for I have no clue. It's just in my nature, I guess. I can't be ignored. I must have every little accomplishment I achieve trumpeted to the mountain tops. Even my failures must be acknowledged, either via my "oh well" facade or through my "I can teach you something from my mistake" mentality. I can't be in the shadows.

More than any of the things I've learned (and haven't learned) in graduate school, I'm pretty sure this personality trait, which I of course already possessed when I got here, is going to help me the most. I can take command of a room. I can keep people's (students') attentions. I can make something trivial seem mega-important, if I so desire. And, much to the contrary of the way I feel about myself most of the time, I'm pretty sure I can make anything relevant to any other thing, and therefore make education relevant to students.

Am I a ham? Yes. Am I a showoff? Yes. Am I an attention (good and bad) hog? Yes. I think these are superb qualities for a teacher to possess, though. I think that this God-given gift of being able to turn the spotlight on myself (and then turn it again, wherever it is needed -- be it on the subject matter or on a student) is more valuable than a lot of things I am learning in a certain teacher education program.

Joe has a lot of these same qualities and more, so I'm certainly not putting this into his face. I'm just pumping myself up, via blog, and, considering what I posted just a few minutes ago, reminding myself that it's all going to be OK.

6 comments:

Steven said...

As a character foil, I can only hope to command a stage presence. Somehow I don't think channeling at Twain's grave will work.

Sarah said...

Dave,
Glad you brought this up. Having been privileged to be "mini-taught" by both you and Joe, I agree that you both have the charisma, presonality and commanding stage presence that good teachers possess.

I think (hope) that this program gives its students tools with which they can create and design (and continually develop) their own classroom. However, it is very hard to teach these things that you already possess. So, the good news is - in spite of unit plans, websites, research papers and projects - you're ahead of the game.

Joe Fox said...

Dave I can't tell if your my hero or my nemesis. What is the difference even, both inspire one to go further, to try harder. Either way your memoir still sucked.

Joe Fox said...

The actual point of the comment that spurned this outrageous post of yours, was originally to call attention to the most remarkably funny expression I have heard in quite some time, which was at your expense. For those who aren't keeping score at home the quote was "or maybe wash his feet with your hair." Funny how that spin cycle cleans everything up.

Steven said...

Great Stage Presence today in 504!
Way to pound the pulpit brother!
I will always remember "The Battle of Vicksburg!"

Dave E. said...

Thanks, Steve! I had a sore throat after half an hour of that. On the way home, I told Andy about the one time I had to sub four days in a row, and I had totally blown out my voice by Day #4. I need to work on my vocal cords.